Once again, life has taken over and I’m behind on my blogging. Our recent holiday to Italy now doesn’t feel so recent and I’m well aware that I haven’t updated this page in a bit too long. When I got back to work I was pretty much allowed to check my emails and then my boss called me into an office and dropped a couple of bombshells that have meant a fair few late nights, a whole heap of stress and not a lot of fun. Added to that my weekends recently have either been taken up with weddings, hen dos, guide trips or birthdays so I have had very little opportunity for doing any sewing, let alone sitting down and writing about it. Anyway, let’s rectify that a little bit with some backlog clearing, shall we? First up: the Grainline Scout tee, which I made in preparation for my holiday.
There’s nothing like a holiday to highlight a gap or two in your wardrobe. In my case it’s basic t-shirts. I’ve got a lot of tops but when you love ALL the printed fabrics, matching them into a coherent outfit can be somewhat difficult. Thankfully Grainline Studio’s Scout t-shirt fills that hole very nicely – I just had to force myself to make it up in a plain fabric. I had some black voile in my stash which was perfect – dead easy to work with and would go with a decent chunk of my clothes.
The Scout t-shirt is pretty ubiquitous around the internet so I don’t think I can say too much about it that hasn’t already been said by others. Anyway, it’s a beginners’ pattern, so there weren’t really any major challenges and the loose cut meant that I wasn’t really all that bothered about fitting so I cut my size straight from the pdf. However, in the interests of saving fabric I dispensed with the separate bias tape pattern piece and made my own, and also cut the sleeves on the crosswise grain. I’m sure there are some who could probably tell the difference, but I don’t think you can and it seems to have worked pretty well.
The actual sewing was really straightforward. The only thing I’d never really had much experience of was gathering the sleeves, but they went in without any real bother – just a small, accidental tuck on one of them. Though I’ll remember that next time I should do my gathering in a contrast thread. It was a bit of an arse to unpick the black gathering stitches and it meant that I had to unpick them directly under the sewing machine light. Idiot child.
Although this should have been a quick sew, I did my version over the course of several evenings in the week before going on holiday, picking it up for an hour or so when I got in. As usual, the bias tape took the time but I reckon it could be done in an afternoon providing you’ve got your stuff sorted out. I should add that there is a tutorial for getting a flat bias binding which I didn’t use because it looked time-consuming, but I’m happy with the results. I will make this one again – it’s a useful pattern to have in your arsenal, so I’ll give that tutorial a whirl next time.
These photos were taken next to the pool at our hotel near Sorrento. That’s a view of the Bay of Naples in the background, and that is Vesuvius in the distance. The most dangerous volcano in the world, based on the number of people it could wipe out if it erupted. Scary stuff. Anyway, you might remember that skirt from an earlier post. That tartan print is still really, really garish, but if you add a plain black/white t-shirt, it’s pretty wearable! Win.