Happy New Year! I hope you’re all rested and recovered from the festive season and ready to get stuck into 2018. We came back from Hawaii in time for New Year’s Eve, but were too knackered to go out. We took the red-eye home so got back to the flat around 8am on the 31st, went straight to bed and then spent most of the day in our pjs eating pizza and building stuff out of Lego. That’s probably my ideal state, so I’m pretty happy with that as evenings go.
It seems like everyone is making sewing plans for 2018 on social media right now, though I’m personally feeling a bit ambivalent about it all. I have a few things I want to achieve in 2018 (see my last post for more) but I’m not entirely sure how my year is going to pan out just yet. I’m starting a new job next week and while I’ve been told that the dress code is “business casual” I don’t know how that will translate over the course of the year, how that’s going to inform my sewing plans and even how much time I’ll have now that I’m a fully contributing member of society. I may make some more long-term plans once I’m settled in at work, but until then I’m going to stick to planning month by month.
Without further waffle, here are my plans for January!
- I’m going to take the bull by the horns and get on with my Ginger jeans this month. It’ll be my Make It Happen project at Drygoods Design and I’m thinking I’ll do it all in class time. It definitely won’t be a finished project by the end of January, but I’ll share my progress!
- I started an Alex shirt back in November that has been sitting, unloved, waiting for me to finish it. I left it because I got to the bit where you have to hand stitch the collar down and I couldn’t be bothered, but the blush pink rayon I’m using is gorgeous and I need to finish it as a priority!
- I AM GOING TO MAKE THE COPPELIA WRAP TOP! I have been saying this for three or four months now, and it hasn’t happened yet, but this month I really mean it, honest!
- I’m probably the last person to have a go at this, but I’m going to have a go at the Grainline Morris Blazer. I reckon it’ll be good for work and in the blue ponte I’ve ordered from Girl Charlee it should go with most of my clothes.
- Another of my friends is due to have a baby by the end of the month, and again I don’t know what it’s going to be. I have some leftover batting from my mega quilt, so maybe I could do a baby quilt?? Or if I’m pushed for time, I might just stick with a crocheted blanket instead – much easier to do in the evenings or on the bus.
This looks like a big list but I’m quietly optimistic, since one’s already half-done and another is a long-term project. Watch this space for updates! What have you got planned for January?